You are here

Application Directions for One-Year License with Stipulations for School Social Worker

This application is for those who:

  • Have earned a master's degree in social work and hold a current advanced practice or clinical social worker license with the Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS);
  • Are not yet eligible to hold a DPI Tier II-Provisional school social worker license;
  • Want to work as a school social worker in a Wisconsin public school

How to Apply for a One-Year License with Stipulations for School Social Worker

5-step graphic

1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints

2. Gather Documents

Scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size

  • Preview the ELO Conduct & Competency Questions to see if you will need to provide documentation of any alleged misconduct
  • A copy of your current DSPS clinical social worker or advanced practice social worker license
  • Transcripts confirming a masters degree

3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)

  • Within ELO, make sure you have answered the three onboarding questions.
  • Find the APPLY FOR A NEW LICENSE section of the Quick Start Menu. Select the same choices in the three drop-downs in the application screenshot below:

    P001 - 1116
  • Choose "3-Pupil Services Category"
  • Choose "A-Pupil Services [P001]"
  • Choose "Pupil Services: Request Wisconsin School 1 Year License with Stipulations - School Social Worker [1116]"

4. Receive Email Confirmation


5. Complete Application on ELO

  • Click the GO! button next to “Submit C&C and Payment to Complete Application.”
  • Review your fees.
  • Complete the Conduct and Competency Questionnaire (14 questions).
  • Pay with a credit card or pre-paid card. For fee amounts and additional payment information please see License Application Fees.


Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see the Check Application Status page.

Next Steps

School social worker: Continue to apply for the LWS1 with the valid DSPS license. However, for experience as a school social worker to be considered for the Tier III lifetime license, the school social worker must first hold the Tier II provisional license. To be considered for a Tier II-Provisional License, the school social worker must either:

  1.  obtain the endorsement from an approved school social worker program and apply; or
  2. Obtain at least one year of school social worker experience in WI schools and satisfy all statutory stipulations cited in a letter from the department by August 31 to apply.


Submit questions and comments about this information to the Licensing Online Help desk.