This application is for those who:
- Have earned a master's degree in social work and hold a current advanced practice or clinical social worker license with the Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS);
- Are not yet eligible to hold a DPI Tier II-Provisional school social worker license;
- Want to work as a school social worker in a Wisconsin public school
How to Apply for a One-Year License with Stipulations for School Social Worker
1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints
2. Gather Documents
Scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size
- Preview the ELO Conduct & Competency Questions to see if you will need to provide documentation of any alleged misconduct
- A copy of your current DSPS clinical social worker or advanced practice social worker license
- Transcripts confirming a masters degree
3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)
- Choose "3-Pupil Services Category"
- Choose "A-Pupil Services [P001]"
- Choose "Pupil Services: Request Wisconsin School 1 Year License with Stipulations - School Social Worker "
4. Receive Email Confirmation
5. Complete Application on ELO
Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see the Check Application Status page.
School social worker: Continue to apply for the LWS1 with the valid DSPS license. However, for experience as a school social worker to be considered for the Tier III lifetime license, the school social worker must first hold the Tier II provisional license. To be considered for a Tier II-Provisional License, the school social worker must either:
- obtain the endorsement from an approved school social worker program and apply; or
- Obtain at least one year of school social worker experience in WI schools and satisfy all statutory stipulations cited in a letter from the department by August 31 to apply.