You are here

School District Support License Pathways

Candidate Profiles

  1. Professional Teaching Permit Pathway
  2. Experience-Based Technical and Vocational Education Subjects Pathway

Professional Teaching Permits

Candidate Profile

  • Professional with a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in:  engineering, math, science, computer science, art, music, or world languages.
    • Engineer can get a math permit, science permit, or technology education permit
  • Five years of experience as a professional (outside of education) in the subject area in which the bachelor’s degree was awarded
  • Seeking a permit to teach in a Wisconsin school district in one of these shortage areas

Upon completing a minimum of 100 hours of formal instruction in the application of modern curricula and passing the subject-specific content tests, an individual is permitted to teach. This pathway is designed for school districts seeking to fill shortage areas with experienced content professionals practicing in the area of their degree.

Download a PDF version of the video

If you fit this permit pathway profile:

1. DETERMINE your eligibility and follow the steps for your professional content area below:

2. REVIEW the additional information provided below to learn more about training programs.

3. APPLY for a Wisconsin Permit using the Educator Licensing Online (ELO) System.


Applicants for the Professional Teaching Permit must successfully complete a minimum of 100 hours of formal instruction in the application of modern curricula in the subject area from a Wisconsin DPI-approved alternative training program.

The program providers below can provide the training. Contact the provider directly to learn more about their training and how to enroll.

Program Providers Contact Program Website
CESA 7 TDC Alternative Licensure Program  Colleen Timm


Dawn Rice

Experience-based Technical and Vocational Education Subjects Pathway Candidate Profile

  • Have training and/or experience in a trade, technical field, and/or vocational area
  • Have pedagogical training/experience
  • Have a district interested in hiring him/her to teach technical or vocational education subjects

People who fit this pathway profile are being supported by a Wisconsin public school district to teach technical or vocational education in their school.

Technical education subjects include:

Architecture and construction, biotechnology, broad-based technology education, communication and information technology, electronics, engineering, environmental technologies, manufacturing, power and energy, and transportation.  

Vocational subjects include:

Agriculture, child services, clothing services, food services, housing and equipment services, family and consumer education, family and consumer services, home economics-related occupations, healthcare-related occupations, business education, business and office, marketing education, and trade specialist.

Qualification for this license is based on a system of points. Candidates must score at least 100 points, with at least 25 points for technical or vocational experience and at least 25 points for pedagogical experience.

Have questions about this pathway?  Please see the Frequently Asked Questions - Experience-Based Technical/Vocational Licensure webpage for more information.

If you fit this pathway profile:

  1. DETERMINE your eligibility by following the steps identified here: Experience-Based Technical or Vocational Education Subjects
  2. SELECT which experience-based license covers the subject areas your school district is requesting you to teach using the Experience-Based Subjects Crosswalk
  3. SEEK school district assistance in completing the PI-1623 Experience-Based Licensure for Technical or Vocational Education Subjects supplemental form
  4. APPLY for a license using the Educator Licensing Online (ELO) system.

Note: Please notify us if someone under an Experience-Based License moves districts for us to begin the invalidation process of their license. 

Submit questions and comments about this information to the Licensing Online Help desk.