Five-Year Long-Term Substitute License
Three-Year Short-term Substitute License
This license allows the license holder to be a short-term (no more than 45 days in a specific assignment) substitute in any subject and in any grade level.
This license is for applicants who:
- hold an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university
- have successfully completed an approved substitute training program
- Are at least 20 years of age
- Enrolled in an educator preparation program, approved by the state superintendent that awards a bachelor's degree
- Have successfully completed a minimum number of credits to have achieved junior status,
- Have completed 15 hours of classroom observation
The verification form (PI-1975), partially completed by an educator preparation program, is required for this application. Review How to Complete the Substitute Teacher Verfication Form for details.
The applicant may apply for a one-year license with stipulations if requested by the employing school district. This license requires the license holder to enroll in and complete a state-approved educator preparation program in the subject or grade level of their assignment or is following another pathway to full licensure. This license is issued for a period of one year and may be renewed.;