You are here

License Renewal Directions for Substitute Teachers, Administrators, and Pupil Services Professionals

This application is for teachers, administrators, or pupil services professionals who hold or previously held a five-year substitute license and wish to hold this license again.

How to Apply

5-step graphic

1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints

2. Gather Documents

  • Preview the ELO Conduct & Competency Questions to see if you will need to provide documentation of any alleged misconduct.
  • You may upload a copy of your current or expired substitute license in place of the transcripts requested on the Application Attachments page. If you are not able to access a copy of the license, you can upload a Word document that contains the license information shown in License Lookup to prove you hold or have held this license.

3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)

  • Within ELO, make sure you have answered the three onboarding questions.
  • Please choose the APPLY FOR A NEW LICENSE section of the Quick Start Menu. Select the same choices in the three drop-down in the application screenshot below:

1; [T001]; [1024]

  • Choose "1-Teacher Category"
  • Choose "A-Teacher including 5-Year Sub) [T001]"
  • Choose "Teacher: Request New Substitute Teacher 5 year - Wi Licensee [1024]"
  • Click the “GO!” button.
  • Complete each page of the application as instructed. Review your Application Summary and edit information if necessary OR click the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application.

4. Receive Email Confirmation


5. Complete Application on ELO

  • Click the GO! button next to “Submit C&C and Payment to Complete Application.”
  • Review your fees.
  • Complete the Conduct and Competency Questionnaire (14 questions).
  • Pay with a credit card or pre-paid card. For fee amounts and additional payment information please see License Application Fees.


Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see the Check Application Status page.


Submit questions and comments about this information to the Licensing Online Help desk.