You are here

Administrator Information

Under Wis. Admin. Code PI 34, the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction issues the following administration licenses. The grade range for all of these licenses is PK – 12.Licenses issued under old rule will continue to have positions and grade levels for the program(s) that the license holder earned at time of completion.

Seeking an Administrator License in Wisconsin?

See the Seeking an Administrator License page to learn how to obtain your Wisconsin administrative license.

Degree and Experience Requirements

  1. Completion of a state-approved educator preparation program in the licensure area.
  2. A minimum of master’s degree or the equivalent. Superintendent license requires a specialist degree or equivalent; program coordinator licenses require a bachelor’s degree.
  3. A valid or eligibility to hold a provisional educator license in teaching or pupil services. School business administrator and program coordinator licenses are waived from this requirement.
  4. Six semesters of successful full-time classroom teaching experience, or six semesters of successful experience as a pupil services professional including 540 hours of classroom teaching experience. School business administrator and program coordinator licenses are waived from this requirement.

Licenses and Grade Ranges

All license grade ranges are PK-12


School District Administrator or Superintendent

Director of Instruction

Director of Special Education and Pupil Services

School Business Administrator

Reading Specialist

Instructional Program Coordinator, including:

  • Career and Technical Education Coordinator
  • Dean of Students
  • School to Work
  • Gifted and Talented
  • Title I
  • Children-at-risk

Non-instructional Program Coordinator, including:

  • Personnel
  • Research
  • Standards and Assessment
  • Athletics and co-curricular programs
  • School network administrator
  • Public relations
  • Other non-instructional positions as determined by local districts

Submit questions and comments about this information to the Licensing Online Help desk.