You are here

Pupil Services License

Candidate Profile

  • Bachelor's degree, or
  • Master's, Education Specialist, or Doctorate degree,
  • Seeking licensure as a: School Social Worker, School Psychologist, School Counselor, School Nurse. 
    (Additional information on licensure for school social workers is available).

People who fit this pathway profile are returning to a college/university to pursue a career as a pupil services professional. Candidates seeking a school social worker or school counselor license are required to complete a master's degree. Candidates seeking a school psychologist license are required to complete an education specialist or doctorate degree.  Candidates can complete an approved pupil services preparation program specific to the license they are seeking at a Wisconsin college/university or an out-of-state approved preparation program. Upon completion, the Wisconsin college/university will endorse the candidate for Wisconsin license. The out-of-state educator will submit an out-of-state application for review to determine eligibility.

If you fit this pathway profile:

  1. DECIDE what pupil services licensure you are interested in.
  2. IDENTIFY the Wisconsin college/university approved to prepare pupil services professionals for the Wisconsin license you are seeking using the Find a Preparation Program page. 
  3. CONTACT the college/university directly to learn about their programs and enrollment. See Contact Information for Approved Educator Preparation Programs.
  4. COMPLETE the degree requirements.
  5. COMPLETE all the requirements of the approved pupil services licensure program.
  6. APPLY for a Wisconsin Initial Educator License using the ELO System.

If you completed a Pupil Services program outside Wisconsin, use the Out-of-State pathway.

Submit questions and comments about this information to the Licensing Online Help desk.