You are here

Special Education Program Aide License

Any person employed by a Wisconsin public school as a special education program aide must hold a special education program aide license issued by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) or another valid and current DPI license or permit. A valid DPI license or permit is acceptable for state categorical aide reimbursement for districts. Special education program aide licenses are valid for five years. 

DPI does not license regular education classroom aides or paraprofessionals.  

This application is for educators who are applying for a new special education program aide license.  

  • Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
  • Applications must be requested by employing school district administrator.

How to Apply 

5-step process

1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints

2. Gather Documents

Scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size

3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)

  • Within ELO, make sure you have answered the three onboarding questions.
  • Find the APPLY FOR A NEW LICENSE section of the Quick Start Menu. Select the same choices in the drop-down menu in the application screenshot below:

O070 1015

  • Choose "4-Other Category" from the drop-down menu
  • Choose "A-Special Education Program Aide License [O070]"
  • Choose "Request new Special Education Program Aide License [1015]"
  • Click the “GO!” button.
  • Complete each page of the application as instructed. Review your Application Summary and edit information if necessary OR click the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application.

4. Receive Email Confirmation


5. Complete Application on ELO

  • Click the GO! button next to “Submit C&C and Payment to Complete Application.”
  • Review your fees.
  • Complete the Conduct and Competency Questionnaire (14 questions).
  • Pay with a credit card or pre-paid card.

License Renewal Requirements

To renew a Special Education Program Aide license, the application must be requested by the employing school district administrator.


Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see Check Application Status.

Submit questions and comments about this information to the Licensing Online Help desk.