You are here

Application Directions for Administrators Prepared Outside of Wisconsin

Who should complete this application?

Educators who are applying for their first-ever administrator license or adding on a new position to an existing administrator license, earned by completing an out-of-state educator preparation program.

More details:  Out-of-State Pathways

How to Apply

5-step graphic

1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints

2. Gather Documents

  • Preview the ELO Conduct & Competency Questions to see if you will need to provide documentation of any alleged misconduct.
  • Transcripts  from all colleges/universities you have attended, including any credits that have been transferred from one institution to another.
    • A minimum of a master’s degree or the equivalent is required. A superintendent license requires a specialist degree or equivalent; program coordinator licenses require a bachelor’s degree.
  • PI-1612-AD Institutional Endorsement and Assurances form(s)
  • If you do not already hold a provisional teacher or provisional pupil services license in Wisconsin, you must also submit a PI-1612-T or PI-1612-P form to show that you are eligible for a teacher or pupil services license as well. If you will be applying for a teacher or pupil services license at this time, the PI-1612 form is required for the teacher or pupil services out-of-state application.
  • Test score report(s) from the state in which you completed your license program.
    • Reading Specialist applicants MUST include evidence verifying successful completion of the WI Foundations of Reading Test.
  • PI-1613 Employment Verification form that verifies three years of experience as a teacher or three years of successful experience as pupil services professional, including 540 hours of classroom teaching experience (school business administrator and program coordinator licenses are waived from this requirement).
    • Use one employment verification form for each district at which you worked.
    • If you are currently in your third year of employment the form must not be signed until after April 1.
  • Please scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size.

3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)

  • Within ELO, make sure you have answered the three onboarding questions.
  • Find the APPLY FOR A NEW LICENSE section of the Quick Start Menu. Select the same choices in the drop-down menu in the application screenshot below:

A001 1025

  • Choose "2-Administrator Category:
  • Choose "A-Administrator (e.g. Superintendent, Principal) [A001]"
  • Choose "Administrator: Request Initial Educator 5 year - Out of State Program [1025]"
  • Click the “GO!” button.
  • Complete each page of the application as instructed. Review your Application Summary and edit information if necessary OR click the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application.

4. Receive Email Confirmation


5. Complete Application on ELO

  • Click the GO! button next to “Submit C&C and Payment to Complete Application.”
  • Review your fees.
  • Complete the Conduct and Competency Questionnaire (14 questions).
  • Pay with a credit card or pre-paid card.


Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing time, Check Application Status

Submit questions and comments about this information to the Licensing Online Help desk.